Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A warm-up exercise

My copy in 2B and 4B pencil.


Mme. Pierre Gautreau by John Singer Sargent


My copy overlaid on Sargent's.

It's clear to see on the overlay image I pushed the curves too far. At Art Center I was taught to exaggerate rather than to understate. Slight exaggeration can loosen drawings up and kill stiffness, that's goood. I think that was good advice because it got me to push things farther. Now it seems I need to focus and be more subtle with my line.

My larger forehead makes her look younger. I think Madame Gautreau would have appreciated that.

3 comments:

  1. ...and I appreciate you sharing this exercise with us. Thanks for stopping by and congratulations on your evolving craft! I hope you're doing well, keep pushing it! love, Reinier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Kingsley. You're hitting hard these days... and leaving bruises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, some inspiring stuff. It's always great to go back to the masters! Awesome drawings, Kingsley :)

    ReplyDelete